A DevOps Software Engineer to join the Citrix Global Lab Infrastructure and Services (GLIS) DevOps Team. The GLIS Team is a globally distributed team supporting the IT infrastructure, application services and tools essential to the Citrix Engineering Teams worldwide. Within the GLIS Team the DevOps Team focus on the core mission critical applications and tools vital to all Citrix software developers.
The DevOps Software Engineer 1 is an entry level software engineer with a keen interest in growing in a DevOps role. DevOps is seen within the software industry as an up and coming field which is key to performance and the rapid delivery of software products. We are applying DevOps principles in the support of the internal tools and services we run within Citrix.
The GLIS DevOps Team is responsible for primarily inward facing services, typically off the shelf tools, such as:
• build and continuous integration systems,
• source code management systems,
• issue and project tracking,
• knowledge management systems,
• static code analysis tools.
The remit of the team is to stay ahead of the software developers by finding new ways to make the software development and delivery process more efficient. We own and run our own Hypervisor VMs, storage arrays and servers to maximise flexibility and performance.
The position reports in to the Manager of Development Operations and requires collaboration with members of the DevOps, GLIS and wider Engineering teams. The role is expected to assist with ensuring system uptime and responsiveness of the mission critical tools that empower Engineering. You’ll work closely with Development responding to feature requests or bug reports.
The successful candidate will be expected to help develop, test, troubleshoot, maintain and debug the tools and services operated by the team. This is a role that is seen as a pillar of productivity where your work can impact 1000’s (Engineers and Managers alike) on a daily basis.
• Helps with the evaluation of new tools with the aim of improving the productivity of software development within Citrix
• Installs and tests new services, typically with web based front-ends and SQL database back-ends, running on Linux
• Fine tunes, customizes and extends off the shelf applications to meet the needs of the Engineering Teams.
• Expected to grow to become an expert in one or more production services/tools and provide guidance to software developers on how they can be customized and used
• Supports and maintains always available services with minimal downtime
• Where necessary, develops new internal tools and scripts
• Develops and supports continuous integration, build and deployment systems
• Assists with releases, making Citrix products available for download on the Internet.
• Learns principles of continuous work practice improvement. This includes finding ways to improve the work of the individual as well as finding ways to improve the efficiency of all developers across Citrix, especially through the use of automation.
• Coordinates own development activities on routine work and cooperates with other team members on technical aspects related to larger projects
• Engages in continuous learning both on the job and through technical training in order to expand and enhance technical expertise and competency and keep pace with technology advancements
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or a related field; equivalent experience may be substituted for formal education
• Broad and up to date IT skills
• Familiar with Software Development processes with an interest in process improvement
• Experience in a high level programming language, preferably Python
• Strong Linux knowledge as a user/administrator, proficient with the linux command line
• Bash scripting experience
• Experience in source code management, especially DVCS, e.g. git
• An interest in maintaining & running complex software systems
• A quick learner with an interest in a wide variety of development technologies and tools
• Self-starter, able to work as a sole contributor on small projects, or as part of a distributed team on larger projects
• An understanding of networking and data communications
• Knowledge of Internet technologies (e.g., HTML, XML, TCP/IP)
• Build Systems, e.g. GNU Make
• Continuous Integration and automated tests systems, e.g. Jenkins
• IT monitoring systems
• Knowledge of automated deployment systems, e.g. Ansible, Puppet or Chef
• Knowledge of virtualisation or distributed computing
• A basic understanding of SQL databases
• Implementing and supporting high availability IT systems
Citrix (NASDAQ:CTXS) aims to power a world where people, organizations and things are securely connected and accessible to make the extraordinary possible.
Its technology makes the world’s apps and data secure and easy to access, empowering people to work anywhere and at any time.
Citrix provides a complete and integrated portfolio of Workspace-as-a-Service, application delivery, virtualization, mobility, network delivery and file sharing solutions that enables IT to ensure critical systems are securely available to users via the cloud or on-premise and across any device or platform. With annual revenue in 2015 of $3.28 billion, Citrix solutions are in use by more than 400,000 organizations and over 100 million users globally.
Learn more at www.citrix.com.cn